HANAH Italian soup
This simple Italian soup recipe was created by HANAH superfan Dustin Varga that packs some serious flavor and will leave you feeling satiated and carb loaded for next day powder laps.
Dustin Varga is an avid HANAH supporter and we appreciate the human he is. If you don't know Dustin, he is a Jackson Hole native with a history of professional snowboarding, climbing and is also a gifted musician. Dustin was the only local judge for HANAH Hero Travis Rice’s Natural Selection contest circa 2008 and to this day continues to create an underground name for himself as a rider, explorer, great father and husband... Not to mention a master Oneironaut!
- 1 lb chicken sausage
- 1 lb Fussili pasta
- 8-10 cups veggie stock or chicken stock
- 4 cups spinach (fresh)
- 3 chopped carrots
- 3 Roma tomatoes large chop
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup fresh Reggiano Parm
- ¼ cup parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons HANAH ONE
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian blend spices (basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Remove sausage from casings (if you bought links) and crumble it into the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove sausage to a plate and spoon out and discard all but about two tablespoons of fat from the pot.
- Lower heat to medium. Add onion, carrots and any other extra veggies you want to add, and stir to coat with fat. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots are fairly tender and veggies are lightly browned in spots. Add garlic and cook, stirring, one minute more.
- Stir in stock and tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to simmer for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente in a separate pot of well salted water. Drain and toss with remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Back in the big soup pot, add beans, reserved sausage and spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted. Off the heat, stir in parsley and black pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls, stirring some pasta shells into each. Serve with cheese to pass at the table.
Make sure to check out these other HANAH dishes to cook up this holiday season:
Like this recipe? Share it!