Toor Dal with Onion and Garlic Recipe
A recipe from employee Meghna Agarwal's grandma that always comforts her with warmth and love.
- 2 cups split pigeon pea soaked for at least 2 hours but overnight is better
- 2-3 chopped medium tomatoes
- 2 small chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons HANAH Vechur Ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried whole chilies broken into pieces
- 2 inch piece dried tamarind
- 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- A pinch of heeng (Asfoetida)
- Salt for boiling
- Cilantro to garnish
- Soak the lentils in water for at least 2 hours. Drain.
- Take a heavy pot and add the lentils with 6 cups water.
- Add salt, turmeric and tamarind. Bring all to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook covered for 45 - 60 minutes (you can cook it in a pressure cooker as well).
- Once it's soft and mushy, lower the burner to simmer.
- Heat ghee in a small pan.
- Once very hot add the cumin, heeng and dry chilies. Be careful as it may splatter.
- Add chopped garlic. Let it change color to red and add the onions.
- Cook the onions until light brown.
- Add tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes are soft, add the mixture to the lentils.
- Serve hot! Garnish with cilantro.
Original Recipe by Meghna Agarwal; HANAH employee, Ayurvedic chef, and mother
Like this recipe? Share it!