HANAH at home
Checking in with our Heroes
It's difficult to imagine our HANAH Heroes — some of the world's most inspiring athletes, adventurers, wellness experts and entrepreneurs — suddenly shifting their routines indoors, like so many of us have recently done. We couldn't help but wonder... how are these perpetually active humans staying busy? What are they loving, learning or practicing to keep their bodies and minds sharp, strong and happy?
We caught up with our Heroes to find out. Over the next few weeks, we'll share how they do it through a series of questions and answers that give us a glimpse into lives of Jimmy Chin, Travis Rice and more.
HANAH at Home with Jimmy Chin
1. What's your current favorite documentary?
"Senna", directed by Asif Kapadia. Senna tells the story of the monumental life and tragic death of legendary Brazilian motor-racing Champion, Ayrton Senna. Years on, he is revered in Formula One as the greatest motor racing driver of all time -- and in Brasil, as a Saint.
2. What are you reading?
"A Guide to the I Ching," by Carol K. Anthony. "A Guide to the I Ching" is an interpretive manual to the classic Wilhelm/Baynes translation of the "I Ching." The "I Ching" has served for thousands of years as a philosophical taxonomy of the universe, a guide to an ethical life, a manual for rulers and an oracle of one's personal future and the future of the state.
3. What's your favorite movie of the moment?
"Parasite", by Bong Joon-ho. Directed and written by Bong Joon-ho, "Parasite" is a dark comedy thriller that follows the members of a poor family, scheming to become employed by a wealthy family, by infiltrating their household and posting as unrelated, highly qualified individuals. The film has received unanimous critical acclaim and is the first South Korean film to receive Academy Award recognition.
4. What has been your go-to ritual?
"I build a big HANAH coffee for the day, every morning. I use coffee, almond milk, cacao and honey, with the addition of HANAH ONE and HANAH Vechur Ghee. Lately, I've been adding HANAH Coffee Boost and HANAH Ashwagandha+, too."
Check out Jimmy's Super Brew Coffee recipe.
5. What new skills have you learned or taught your child?
"I'm getting pretty good at janitorial skills. With the kids, we're learning how to ride a bike."
6. Have you developed a new outlook on life?
"That the old outlook continues to be pretty good."
7. How are you staying active?
"Backcountry skiing. I don't think it's too complicated to stay fit and healthy, but it does take intention and discipline. Keep it simple. One hour a day of activity and feed your body the best ingredients and herbal supplements you can find. These two basic things will go a long way for your health and happiness."
8. Have you been practicing your karate moves?
"The Back Hook Kick has been my go-to."
9. What organizations should we considering supporting?
Give Together Now: #GiveTogetherNow is a rapid-response effort to get cash assistance into the hands of families most affected by the COVID-19 panemic.
Protect our Winters: POW helps passionate outdoor people protect the places and lifestyles they love from climate change.
The Conservation Alliance: Engages businesses to fund and partner with organizations to protect wild places for their habitat and recreation values.
Want more Jimmy?
Check out Jimmy's other HANAH videos and blogs
- Jimmy Chin's morning ritual — How this athlete starts his day
- Jimmy's morning smoothie recipe
- Jimmy's simplified approach to long-term fitness
HANAH at Home with Lexi duPont
1. Have you read any great books?
"The River Why," by David James Duncan. "The River Why" is a funny, sensitive, unforgettable story about the relationships among men, women, the environment, and the human soul.
2. What movie are you loving?
"Captain Fantastic," by Matt Ross. In the forests of the Pacific Northwest, a father devoted to raising his six kids with a rigorous physical and intellectual education, is forced to leave his paradise and enter the world, challenging his idea of what it means to be a parent.
3. How are you staying active?
"Any spin class with Ally Love on the Peloton."
4. What has been your go-to ritual?
5. Have you taught your child anything new?
"We have a dog, and he has learned to really love morning snuggles."
6. Have you tried any new recipes that you love?
7. Have you learned any new skills?
"Hair stylist — giving Punk Rock mohawks and dying them funky colors. Welding, rolling sushi, repurposing old furniture, growing a garden and foraging for mushrooms."
8. Have you developed a new outlook on life?
"Radical self reliance is essential and health is wealth."
9. If you created a screenplay or Netflix series, what would it be called?
"'Rona Made Me Do It."
10. What organizations should we consider supporting?
"Donate to your local food bank and help out your neighbors. Community is everything and we need to support each other."
Want more Lexi?
Check out Lexi's HANAH recipe
HANAH at Home with Travis Rice
1. Have you read any great books?
"Power vs. Force" by David R. Hawkins, M.D. The book details how anyone may resolve the most crucial of all human dilemmas: how to instantly determine the truth or falsehood of any statement or supposed fact. Dr. Hawkins, who worked as a "healing psychiatrist" during his long and distinguished career, uses theoretical concepts from particle physics, nonlinear dynamics and chaos theory to support his study of human behavior.
2. Have you watched any memorable documentaries?
"Let's get weird," Travis prefaced his recommendation, "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind", by Michael Mazzola. Presented by Dr. Steven Greer. the global authority on extraterrestrials who has created the world wide disclosure movement. Dr. Greer reveals the most dangerous information that the architects of secrecy do not want you to know about humans initiating with highly advanced ET civilizations.
3. What has been your go-to workout?
"Lately, 100 lb deadlifts with awkwardly shaped stones. All lower back!"
4. Have you made any delicious recipes?
"I created a savory oats recipe for those days when you need some real gas in the tank. This little ball of energy won’t quit on you and is a real baseline for personal interpretation. Grab the ball and run with it! Savory oats are the future."
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup zucchini chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 avocado sliced
- 8 strips thick-cut bacon
- Handful arugula
- Handful sprouts
- 2 stems diced green onion
- ‘Siete’ jalapeno hot sauce or hot sauce of your choice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add 8 strips of thick-cut bacon to a pan over low heat and let cook until lightly crispy, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- While bacon is cooking, bring 1 ½ cups of water and ¼ teaspoon salt to boil in a pot.
- While water is boiling, add olive oil to a different pan and set to medium heat. Add your bell pepper and zucchini and pan fry for 10 minutes till soft.
- Once water is boiling, add in oats and bring to medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce and let cook for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once zucchini and peppers are soft, add to the pot of oats and mix together.
- Add the thyme, garam masala and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, plate your two bowls of oats and add toppings- chopped bacon, sliced avocado, arugula, sprouts, green onion, ‘Siete’ hot sauce and more salt and pepper if desired. The more the merrier here!
- Feel like a boss and enjoy the day!
5. Have you picked up any new skills?
"Stone building and landscaping."
6. Do you have any new outlooks on life?
"If you can’t be content by yourself, contentment with others may just be a band aid of distraction."
7. What has been your go-to ritual?
"16 ounces of celery juice, first thing every morning that I can. Also, a morning coffee or tea with two teaspoons of HANAH Coffee Boost!"
8. What philanthropic efforts should we consider supporting?
"Plant trees. Always plant trees..."
Want more Travis?
Check out Travis' other HANAH videos and blogs
- HANAH Rituals: Travis Rice goes to Japan
- Trais Rice's Bora Bora Party Time Fruit Bowl
- Travis Rice would rather be sailing, HANAH Rituals goes to French Polynesia
Like this post? Share it!