HANAH lei bar
Heading on an airplane? Off on a road trip where gas station food could be your only option? Try these divinely delicious, super nutritious bars from Megan Henderson that you can stash in your car or carry-on.
- 3 cups raw oat flakes
- 1 cup goldenberries
- 1 cup almond butter or pecan or walnut butter
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (whole or powdered in food processor)
- 1-4 tablespoons HANAH ONE
- 6 dates, soaked and rinsed
- 1/4 cup date water (from soaking dates)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted slowly over low temperature
- 1 orange, juice and zest from
- 3 tablespoons organic agave nectar or other liquid sweetener (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Combine the almond butter, HANAH ONE, dates, and date water in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth.
- Remove to large bowl and stir in coconut oil, orange juice, orange zest, and liquid sweetener. Stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Roll out mixture between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/4″ thick. Remove to drying racks and place in oven (no heat!) overnight to dry. You can also leave them out on the counter.
- Frost with white cacao orange glaze if desired (see below).
Optional: White cacao orange glaze
- 1/2 cup raw cacao butter (not coconut butter)
- 2 tablespoons raw, organic agave or liquid sweetener of choice
- zest from one orange (about 2 tablespoons)
- Melt cacao butter in a dehydrator or very carefully over water on the stove top (using a metal bowl over a saucepan is helpful).
- Stir in agave and orange zest.
- This part can be a little tricky. Cool the liquid mixture over ice water until it barely starts to set on the edge. Start whisking and it will thicken up before your very eyes.
- Once it gets to a frosting consistency, spread quickly on bars. If it gets too hard, just gently warm again. It will harden beautifully once on the bars.
Recipe by Megan Henderson, mom, yoga teacher, former organic farmer and writer living in Boulder, Colorado
Like this recipe? Share it!