HANAH lei bar
Heading on an airplane? Off on a road trip where gas station food could be your only option? Try these divinely delicious, super nutritious bars from Megan Henderson that you can stash in your car or carry-on.
- 3 cups raw oat flakes
- 1 cup goldenberries
- 1 cup almond butter or pecan or walnut butter
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (whole or powdered in food processor)
- 1-4 tablespoons HANAH ONE
- 6 dates, soaked and rinsed
- 1/4 cup date water (from soaking dates)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted slowly over low temperature
- 1 orange, juice and zest from
- 3 tablespoons organic agave nectar or other liquid sweetener (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Combine the almond butter, HANAH ONE, dates, and date water in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth.
- Remove to large bowl and stir in coconut oil, orange juice, orange zest, and liquid sweetener. Stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Roll out mixture between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/4″ thick. Remove to drying racks and place in oven (no heat!) overnight to dry. You can also leave them out on the counter.
- Frost with white cacao orange glaze if desired (see below).
Optional: White cacao orange glaze
- 1/2 cup raw cacao butter (not coconut butter)
- 2 tablespoons raw, organic agave or liquid sweetener of choice
- zest from one orange (about 2 tablespoons)
- Melt cacao butter in a dehydrator or very carefully over water on the stove top (using a metal bowl over a saucepan is helpful).
- Stir in agave and orange zest.
- This part can be a little tricky. Cool the liquid mixture over ice water until it barely starts to set on the edge. Start whisking and it will thicken up before your very eyes.
- Once it gets to a frosting consistency, spread quickly on bars. If it gets too hard, just gently warm again. It will harden beautifully once on the bars.
Original Recipe by Megan Henderson; mom, yoga teacher, former organic farmer, and a writer living in Boulder, Colorado
Like this recipe? Share it!