HANAH Rituals: Puerto Rico with Otto Flores
HANAH Hero, Otto Flores, shows us what it means to be an inspiring community member
Raised in Puerto Rico, Otto Flores' roots run deep for the island and its inhabitants. After Hurricane Maria caused catastrophic damage and a major humanitarian crisis in 2017, Otto teamed up with non-profit organization, Waves for Water, to help his neighbors and nation. Together, they provided water to over 70,000 people in need, implemented rainwater and filtration systems and created disaster preparedness sites.
Otto also gives back to his home by working with Big Wave Risk Assessment Group (BWRAG) to host ocean risk management seminars. These events are aimed at educating surfers in ocean safety so that they not only know how to mitigate their own personal risk, but can also serve as an asset to others in an emergency situation.
You can hear the passion Otto has for his home as he talks about the island. "Living in Puerto Rico and having our normal routine, as simple as it is, is great. I love where we live. I've travelled the world, and been to many places, and learned a lot, and one of the things I've learned is that I have a lot in my back yard. We have so much stuff to be grateful for on this island. Raising our kids and raising a family here is probably a dream scenario." Otto spends most of his days in Carolina, Puerto Rico where he maintains a lifestyle that is rooted in a healthy core — family, surf, environmentalism and wellness.
We hope you enjoy this next installment in the Rituals series featuring Otto Flores and produced in partnership with Guayakí.
Rituals is an exclusive HANAH video series that explores the daily routines of some of the world’s most inspiring athletes, adventurers and entrepreneurs. In an effort to encourage, motivate and share ideas, they have graciously given us a peek into their own rituals.
Giveaway: Enter to win a prize pack containing some of Otto's favorite products and gear
We have teamed up with Otto, Guayakí, BWRAG and Patagonia to not only bring you the latest installment in our Rituals video series, but also a killer giveaway.
How to enter:
- Visit us on Instagram and "like" our giveaway post
- Follow @hanahliving, @ottoint, @guayaki and @b.w.r.a.g
- Leave a comment on the giveaway post, giving your hometown a shoutout and tagging some friends who you love to adventure with
- Tune back in to our Instagram on June 26th for the premiere of Otto’s Rituals video to rack up some ritual inspiration and find a bonus entry step to double your chances of winning!
Giveaway ends at 11:59pm PT on June 28, 2020. We'll announce the winner via Instagram DM on June 29th.
Guayakí — Organic loose leaf yerba mate, mate gourd & bombilla and three cases of cans or bottles of the winner’s choice (learn more about Guayakí products)
BWRAG — Limited edition BWRAG x Patagonia branded t-shirt and Klean Kanteen flask.
Patagonia — One Black Hole® Duffel Bag 55L in black
Otto's HANAH & Guayakí mate latte recipe
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- 4 teaspoons Guayakí Yerba Mate loose leaf tea
- 1 inch fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 inch fresh turmeric (grated)
- 1 teaspoon HANAH Ashwagandha+
- 1 teaspoon HANAH ONE
- Bring some water to a simmer. Do not boil. Boiling water burns all the nutrients and it makes bitter yerba mate.
- Add water along with the Guayakí Yerba Mate, HANAH ONE, ginger and turmeric into a french press. Stir and let the mixture steep for one minute.
- Press the tea mixture and pour into your favorite mug.
- Froth a milk of your choice and mix with the mate mixture and HANAH Ashwagandha+. Optional: I like it with just the sweetness of HANAH ONE, but you can choose to sweeten with a bit of honey.
Want more Otto? Check out these other articles and recipes.
- Otto Flores' surf smoothie
- Morning ritual: how surfer Otto Flores juggles family, surf, and a busy schedule
- Otto Flores' HANAH ONE hit wonder
Rituals videography and images by Scott Soens
Cover image and Otto portrait photography by Ryan "Chachi" Craig
Like this post? Share it!